[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Mar 27 21:27:23 UTC 2008

>> As I understand it, Hauppauge  will be releasing an HDMI capture card.
>> This
>> should allow you to record anything that your TV could display.
>
> And when they do, you better pick one (or several) up quickly, before
> this happens to them:
> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9898065-1.html

Damn, that's ugly.  As soon as those Hauppauge cards are available -
someone PLEASE let us know.  I plan on grabbing at least two of them.

What ever happened to "fair use"?  Most of us are NOT pirates.  We USED to
be able to record HBO on the old VCRs without any problems.  God, I hate
the studios.

>>  Hi. I get just under 100 channels in clear QAM, of which about
>>  30 are HD for some programs.

If you're in the US, you are in a very small minority.  Most of us here
don't.  I get maybe 60 channels in clear QAM but most of them are useless
to me (shopping, foreign-language or religious channels - all in SD and
none of which I ever watch, or the SD versions of the OTA HD channels).  I
get only 6 HD channels on clear QAM.  My cable bill is >$100/month, so you
bet I'm buying one of those Hauppage cards, so I can record the content I
pay for.