[mythtv-users] Easy Cable Box Integration

Joe Votour vulturej at vulturesnest.net
Thu Mar 27 21:16:19 UTC 2008

Quoting John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>:

<snip>

> Wouldn't that mean that every cable box on the network would have to
> be replaced or could this be a firmware update??
>
> John

It depends on the companies involved.

For some cable operators, they might be able to get firmware updates
out of their existing vendors (i.e. Motorola STBs and headends).  In
other cases, they might need to replace the set-top box.

Once the successor to CableCard, with two-way communication and
switched broadcast comes out, then set-tops that adhere to that
standard could be used, and a translation layer added at the headend.

There's so many possibilities that I don't care to speculate too much
right now.  I'm more of the headend programming guy than a set-top guy
right now.  But rest assured, there will be a way to do it, and even
if the up-front hit on set-top boxes is not appealing, the long-term
bandwidth savings and business opportunities make up for it in the
long run.

We're also starting to get into such minute detail that we're going off-topic.

-- Joe