[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:03:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:27 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I understand it, Hauppauge  will be releasing an HDMI capture card.  This
>  > should allow you to record anything that your TV could display.
>
>  And when they do, you better pick one (or several) up quickly, before
>  this happens to them:
>  http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9898065-1.html

Correct me if I'm wrong here...I guess this is perhaps splitting hairs but...

It's worth noting that while HDMI capture would in fact allow you to
record anything that can be displayed, you wouldn't be truly getting a
lossless copy unless you saved massive raw video files.  That is, when
you capture the decoded video output it does in fact have any and all
mpeg2 compression artifacts of the original codec, and re-encoding it
in any way is in fact adding another.

Like I said...splitting hairs...but it really isn't the same as
getting at the original mpeg2.

Tom