[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:56:34 UTC 2008

> > As I understand it, Hauppauge  will be releasing an HDMI capture card.  This
>  > should allow you to record anything that your TV could display.
>
>  And when they do, you better pick one (or several) up quickly, before
>  this happens to them:
>  http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9898065-1.html

Bah, Gefen made the change of their own accord, and did so probably
because the HDMI agreement explicitly disallows them from storing
unencrypted video on disk, and they didn't want to risk a lawsuit.
Hauppauge, et al, on the other hand, are building component capture
devices.  And since there's nothing illegal about such devices,
there's no reason they'd pull them.

Frankly, I think this fear that the MPAA will somehow such these
companies down is massively overblown.  As long as these devices are
just pulling component video, they have nothing to fear.  The only
option would be some sort of legislative relief, and fortunately, that
only affects the countries where such laws are passed.

So relax.  Quite frankly, HD analog video capture was only a matter of
time.  And even if I'm wrong and companies do bend over for some
reason, for every company that does, two more will spring up to fill
the gap.

Brett.