[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:54:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>  2. You're assuming all cable companies are out to screw the end user and
>  encrypt everything they can just because they can. RCN and Astound are
>  two companies that don't do this (Astound I know for sure, I've only
>  heard rumors that RCN sends everything in the clear that you subscribe
>  to.)

I know several people in NJ who had RCN (we don't have it our part of
NJ).  In those areas, it was bought out by Patriot Media who, as far
as I know, only broadcasts the local networks and PBS in clear QAM.
Also note that Patriot was just bought out by Comcast.

I guess the rule of thumb that, if the ability to use you're own
equipment (especially a home brew DVR) is a priority, you just can't
count on using cable.

Makes me glad to be a pure OTA guy.

Tom