[mythtv-users] Directv H21 and Mythtv

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:04:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Captain Krypto <captainkrypto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running a combined FE/BE system with 1 SD tuner card (pvr-150).  I was
> thinking about upgrading my Directv to HD and was wondering about peoples
> experiences with this receiver and using it with MythTv.  Since I don't have
> an HD tuner at this point, I wanted to watch HD directly through the box,
> but still be able to record SD.  Is anyone running a setup like this?  If I
> have an HDMI cable plugged in, will the signal still come through the RCA or
> Composite outputs?  Any info or feedback on the H21 is appreciated.

Feeding s-video from my H20 (hidef) to my pvr-150 works very well.

The HD channels even look pretty good.  If you set the H20 to output
in "anamorphic" mode, and tell Myth to setup the PVR-150 to record in
16:9 (anamorphic), then you minimize resolution loss.  Combine this
with the new greedy or yadif deinterlacer and the result is not too
bad.  Definitely not HD, but much better than the SD version of the
same channel.

I am really looking forward to one of the new component capture
devices due out "real soon".

Can't help you with watching "live", since I never do that.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?