[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:13:05 UTC 2008

>> You guys must have missed my response but there is a bash script
>> that grabs video from your video source, then converts the mpg to a
>> series of jpeg's, then a program converts the jpeg's into asci
>> characters, then the program parses the asci characters and if it
>> find a certain amount of characters, it'll know whether to send a
>> power on command or not before changing channels. It's really
>> awesome. My STB was turning off once in awhile also, don't know if
>> it's due to updates or some setting in the STB that I can't find. I
>> haven't missed a recording in a long time. here's the link to his
>> script. let me know if I can help more.

>Don't know about the "guys", but I saw your response.
>
>Does it only work with a black screen or would it detect a static logo
>(like "press select to view TV")?
>
>Actually even that might not work with DISH receivers, as they seem to
>move the text and logo around, presumably to prevent burn-in?
>
>What about if you are tuned to one of the Sirius music channels? They
>also have a moving logo. Would it mistakenly turn the STB or receiver
>off?
>
>A good idea, but it might work only in a limited number of
>circumstances.
>
>bewwbeww,
if the cable box is on, than that's the only point. so if it's on a music station or just has a logo, then it's not a pure black image and that means the cable box is on and the channel change command will work, right? If there is something like a logo that goes around the screen and you have to hit "select" to view TV then I would think the rest of the screen is still going to be black and that just means you would change the number of black asci characters to somethign that would engage the script to tell it to send the "select" command. I guess it may or may not work in that instance. If it's off, then you'll get a black image, and the script will tell the channel changing command to send a power on first, then send the channel change command. Just my 2 cents. My situation is for a SA3250HD with Time Warner Cable in Milwaukee, WI using a ir blaster and s-video into my PVR-350. I like it this way also because I can record HBO and all channels I subscribe to. I don't too much care that they aren't in HD. I can record an HD channel but obviously since it's sent over s-video it gets downconverted I am guessing. All my shows look fine to me.