[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Jeff Clark jeff at vacantcanvas.com
Thu Mar 27 17:18:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Willy Boyd <willyboyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
>

> > Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
>  >  digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
>  >  control my channels (right?).
>  >
>  >  I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
>  >  change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
>  >  from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording?  Is
>  >  there any way around this?
>  >
>  >  Jeff
>
>  One night I was fiddling around with my Comcast HD box, and I noticed
>  something strange in regards to the OSD.  I don't know if it's
>  repeatable, just my box, or what.
>
>  I currently have it hooked up to my tv set over HDMI.  I use a
>  HDHomeRun for the actual recordings.  One night, being frustrated by
>  the fact I'm missing out on a handful of good encrypted channels, I
>  decided to just try plugging the SVIDEO-out of the cable box into my
>  old, now unused PVR250, to see just how bad it would look (the idea
>  here would be to record the HD channels in scaled down, widescreen
>  over svideo format).  What was interesting is that the OSD *never*
>  came up over the svideo out as I manually changed channels.  I think
>  probably because I still had the HDMI hooked up and in use.  As if the
>  cable box only uses one output at a time for the OSD?  Like I said, I
>  don't know if it's repeatable or there would be a way to "trick" a
>  second box dedicated to recording to do this.  Just an interesting
>  observation.  I know you wrote you're not using HD and so definitely a
>  different box, but anyway...
>
>  - Willy

Interesting... I'm not using the HD capabilities, but Comcast did give
me one of those HD boxes since we currently have their crap
Comcast-Tivo service (that I'm hoping to replace with my Mythbox).

Coincidentally, I wrote to the list yesterday about OSD's being
recorded in my Myth recordings, so this may inadvertently fix another
issue too!

Is there a postitive/negative to using S-Video from the Comcast box to
the capture card versus using a coax connection?

Jeff