[mythtv-users] minimum specs for PCHDTV-5500?

Greg Mischel Smith gregms at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:01:29 UTC 2008

> > Jesse,
> > My problem is indeed the blocks random of colors in the middle of the
> > screen that cover the picture, plus pausing and hesitating.  It does not
> > happen when playing the signal through my cable box, so I assumed it's not a
> > signal problem, BUT ... my cable provider did tell me at one point that my
> > signal was "less than perfect" so ... is it possible that the HDTV-5500
> > requires a better signal than what the cable box does?
> >
> > Anyway, I will try to tweak the other settings, and see if that helps.
> >
> > Let me take this opportunity to say **thanks*** to everyone on this
> > board for your willingness to share your knowledge ... I must have solved
> > dozens of issues by searching the mailing list archives (even if many
> > messages are about hardware and technically "off topic" viz. mythtv itself,
> > they are still incredibly helpful) and y'all are great.
> >
> > Mary
> >

> > I have two HDTV-5500 cards in my MythTV system. They work perfect
without any artifacts. The biggest difference I had was with the antenna. I
tried several different antenna's and found that the cheaper ones that don't
plug in work the best for me. But I also live in the urban part of the city
and the others were just too powerful.
I record all OTA content with most of it being 1080. My system is a
duel-core AMD 3800+. I use to have an AMD 1800+, but it could not handle the
1080i content. It handled 480 just fine and even 720 pretty good, but 1080
was just too much.

Greg Mischel Smith
KCMO