[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Mar 27 01:56:36 UTC 2008

* On Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 05:25:12PM -0700, bungle wrote:
> Mitch Gore wrote:
> > Wow, i didnt realize GB was that fast, i wonder how the other PVR software
> > rate in speed/accuracy.

> I think BTV and Sage both use comskip, too, so I'm not sure there are many
> others.

Comskip was also originally a port of my commercial flagging code in
Myth.  At one point, I even had a Linux version of it compiled and
running using a Makefile I built.  Since then a lot or most of it has
been rewritten, but it all started with MythTV.  I know they looked at
using non-open source codecs, so that could be one reason comskip is
faster.  I also think it skips frames in order to run faster.  The
current flagging code in Myth has quite a few things in it to speed up
detection on a per-frame basis, but it does look at every frame.  It
also is single-threaded.  There was a project during the 2006 SoC to
add multithreaded flagging, but it never materialized into anything.

> available in the config (along with a LOT of other options) are: 1=black
> frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect
> ratio, 64=silence, 128=cutscenes, though mine (and the default) was 111.

So the extras they give you are fuzzy logic (??), closed captions,
silence, and cut scenes.  Since people keep suggesting things to work on
for the flagger in Myth, I'll say that given the current code design and
where the most bang for the buck is, I'd recommend looking at the closed
captions and the silence detection.  Just thought I'd throw that in
since this thread may invariably turn into how to improve Myth's
flagger.

--
Chris