[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Mar 27 00:54:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 05:12:03PM -0400, Jeff Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Some people are assuming you have HD, but a digital box isn't necessarily a
> > HD box.
>
> I'm not running anything HD (since I have neither an HD tuner nor an
> HDTV), so everything's in SD.  Comcast just told me that all the
> channels are encrypted and that I would have to have a box to get
> anything besides local channels.  (Sarcastic love towards Comcast!)
>
> So I have to use a box, and it's an SD box.
>
> (If anyone is IN Boston and currently uses Comcast without a set-top
> box, feel free to let me know - that would be much preferred,
> obviously.  Every time I call them up, there's a different answer from
> their support guys.)

I was a Comcast customer in Boston until January of this year.
They make about 20 channels available via unencrypted QAM,
including ABC, NBC, PBS, Fox, and CW.

They also put about 75 channels out on analog cable, that you
can pick up with any NTSC tuner.

(RCN, however, does a better job overall and is cheaper and has
better network policies. Guess who I'm using now?)

-dsr-

--
Restore our Constitutional rights.