[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:41:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM, bungle <nabble.e.wuuza at xoxy.net> wrote:
>  2. Is there any way to see the commercial breaks without editing the
>  recording and loading the breaks as a cutlist (Z)?  (Did I characterize that
>  right?)  Doing so seems to change the behavior, notably it seems to autoskip
>  even with autoskip off.  My search for an OSD with commercial breaks turned
>  up "yeah, that'd be cool".  Yup.  Mostly I am interested in this because of
>  #3:

I'm pretty sure you can also delete all the cut points with key, but
I'm not sure which.  So you could load the cut points to look and then
delete them again.

>  3. It looks like the only commercial-skipping keys are Z and Q, and they
>  always jump even if the position is nowhere near a commercial.  My wife (and
>  thus I) had a problem the other day because she skipped at a commercial, and
>  it jumped 15 minutes or so.  What happened was that first break was not
>  marked, so it jumped to the next break further into the show.  I have found
>  somewhat of a solution in turning the auto-notify on with the blue osd.
>  However, now we have to watch for the popup, and if there's no commercial
>  use one key (right) to jump, and use another (Z) if there is a break.  I
>  find mvpmc's skipping more natural: skip right is a 30-second skip, unless
>  the position is within a commercial break, and then the whole break is
>  skipped.  With that one just has to know "jab this button until commercials
>  go away".  Assuming the keyboard reference on the wiki is complete, I'm
>  guessing this is not possible?  I also did not see any setup options.

There's a comm-skip limit that you can set so you won't skip over long
commercials (sorry I don't remember which menu it's in).  I have mine
set to 5 minutes.  It gives you a warning if the commercial is longer
than that and will skip if you hit the skip button again.  Also if you
hit the comm-skip back button (Q on the keyboard) within a few seconds
of skipping a commercial you'll skip back to the point you skipped
from instead of the previous cut point.

>  Thanks,
>  John
>
>  * Comskip url: http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip
>  Code is available via SVN - don't know about the license.  Could be
>  interesting to compare notes.
>  --

It was supposed to be so Easy.