[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

bungle nabble.e.wuuza at xoxy.net
Wed Mar 26 18:43:31 UTC 2008

Two prefacing statements: Until last fall I used Windows/GB-PVR, which may
color my expectations, and I did search the list archives, so chide my
search capabilities, not my non-searchiness.

Specs: Kubuntu 7.10, myth .21, X2 3800, 2G ram, 6150

1. How long should I expect commflagging to take?  I have "all methods"
enabled.  Comskip (used by GB-PVR and others) consistently took about 4
minutes on a 1 hours show, same hardware (generally pegging 1 core), and
uses more detection methods.  Detection was at least as good.  Commflag took
about 30 minutes for a 1-hours show last night, though it seemed to run at
about 20-25% (guessing half of one core due to nice?).  I saw at least one
post that indicated it should be a bit faster than that, but I don't know on
what hardware.  hdparm shows good speed.  If others are getting much better
times, then I'll look for something external to Myth.  (I realize it can run
real-time, but for now I want to resolve this question.)

2. Is there any way to see the commercial breaks without editing the
recording and loading the breaks as a cutlist (Z)?  (Did I characterize that
right?)  Doing so seems to change the behavior, notably it seems to autoskip
even with autoskip off.  My search for an OSD with commercial breaks turned
up "yeah, that'd be cool".  Yup.  Mostly I am interested in this because of
#3:

3. It looks like the only commercial-skipping keys are Z and Q, and they
always jump even if the position is nowhere near a commercial.  My wife (and
thus I) had a problem the other day because she skipped at a commercial, and
it jumped 15 minutes or so.  What happened was that first break was not
marked, so it jumped to the next break further into the show.  I have found
somewhat of a solution in turning the auto-notify on with the blue osd.
However, now we have to watch for the popup, and if there's no commercial
use one key (right) to jump, and use another (Z) if there is a break.  I
find mvpmc's skipping more natural: skip right is a 30-second skip, unless
the position is within a commercial break, and then the whole break is
skipped.  With that one just has to know "jab this button until commercials
go away".  Assuming the keyboard reference on the wiki is complete, I'm
guessing this is not possible?  I also did not see any setup options.

Thanks,
John

* Comskip url: http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip
Code is available via SVN - don't know about the license.  Could be
interesting to compare notes.