[mythtv-users] mythtvideo 0.21 - internal player scaling

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:05:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:39 AM, Joan Vallés <joan.valles at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > it
> > > noticing
> explain
> > > it
> like
> > > the
> ("coarse"?),

> great
> > > (as

> > > Thanks for your reply Steve but videos I play using mythvideo are not
> > > interlaced, anyway, I'm going to check again my Playback profiles
> starting
> > > with the Slim one.
> >
> > Joan, it's possible, if the video your watching is much lower
> > resolution than your TV that the scaling Myth uses (which is very
> > basic) may be showing its inferiority to the mplayer scaler. Thats one
> > area where some work was done a while back (to introduce the use of
> > better scaling algorithms but nothing seems to have come of it. I
> > think the idea was to get it working in hardware via the openGL stuff,
> > but I don't think it was implemented yet.
> >
> > Daniel, any word on the scaling stuff that was discussed oh-so-many months
> ago?
> >

> Steve, you are right, videos are about the half of the resolution of the TV.
> I just noticed the  big quality difference when I switched to 0.21, before
> that (0.20) I was very happy with the output.

Is there a noticeable difference between 0.20 and 0.21's output of the
file? From what I understand there should not be any.

> Regarding openGL, should it provide more quality? I've tried to use it but
> it works just once, then when go back to the recording list and play the
> video again I just get a black screen... I need to do some more testing.

I don't think any improved scaling was included with the current
openGL output, just the frame work for it to be added in later.  If
your having problems with it, I would create a new thread for that as
it's most likely a driver/setup issue, but if not something that a
ticket should be opened for and whatever the bug is, fixed.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!