[mythtv-users] Mytv Unreliable

James Cummings james+mythtv at cummingsfamily.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 13:24:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Tim Sawyer <mythtv at calidris.co.uk> wrote:
>  I haven't done a channel scan for ages, yet this problem has been intermittent
>  for ages, seemingly on only one of the two tuners.

Given that your address is in the UK (where I am as well), I would
strongly recommend doing a rescan of existing transports on a regular
basis.  The small variations in channel line-ups and frequencies
*always* cause problems on my box (with a Nova-T 500).  It will be
recording fine for awhile, then suddenly not be able to find files for
programs it believes it has recorded.  A rescan of existing transports
always seems to solve this.  Whenever another freeview STB of mine
announces that "There has been a change in channel line-up" (even if
it doesn't turn out to be a visible), I always go into the lounge and
rescan the mythtv box.  This seems to happen every few weeks.  This
seems to solve the problem.  Perhaps it isn't the rescan of existing
transports, but the stopping and restarting of the backend that one
has to do to run the setup... but that is what seems to work for me.

I'm going to be upgrading the box from Ubuntu feisty to gutsy soon
(in preparation to eventually upgrade to Hardy in a couple months or
so)... I hope that doesn't mess things up too much.

Best,
-James