[mythtv-users] Should I be locking tables if I change mythconverg data in a script?

nospam312 nospam312 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:25:33 UTC 2008

> Apart from optimize_mythdb.pl there's not much you should be doing for regular
>  operations. (I don't know about those folks who have videos or music
>  collections.) Why don't you set up a cron job to run your script(s) at some
>  point during the night when you can almost guarantee that nothing will be using
>  the database? That's the approach I take.

Thanks for replies.

I make changes to the guide data so programmes on the timeshifted
channels do not get recorded twice - I am using the latest XMLTV but I
like it done a certain way.  I also keep the previously recorded table
to 2 weeks and a few other minor things.

I have not noticed any problems and the scripts have been in use for
ages but I would like to get my SQL so it locks appropriately to stop
any possible problems.

I guess locking may cause more problems than it may solve however.