[mythtv-users] Vid card recommendation

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 05:30:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> What I like best about my 5200 is that it runs the legacy drivers which
> GREATLY reduces CPU load during playback of HD content AND provides the
> video overlay, which gives brightness/contrast control.  Unfortunately,
> my new MB is PCIE and there's no PCIE version of the 5200 (sob).  But my
> wife's computer benefits from my old 5200, though....

Well I got a 6800XT cheaply, the XT version has fewer pixel pipes but uses
the same processor as the 6800 series, well since processing video is really
a 2D application pixel pipes arent required, but is an excellent HD capable
card, HD content (1080i) only drives my processor at about 20% cpu usage

but for AGP at HD Level the cheapest AGP card 5200 or greater would work
great, PCI works okay at SD but doesnt seem to have enough bandwidth for HD.