[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 26 04:04:20 UTC 2008

On 03/25/2008 06:11 PM, Dean Harding wrote:
> John Veness wrote:
>
>> I thought the idea was that LiveTV would continue to run, visibly and
>> audibly, in a small box in the corner, or maybe semi-transparent in the
>> background, in which case you would be less likely to not realise it was
>> still running.
> If anyone's going to implement this (doesn't sound like anybody cares
> enough to implement it, though...) could I suggest that you extend the
> idea to allow *any* recording to "play" in the background while you're
> in the menus, not just LiveTV? I think that would be somewhat more
> useful -- sometimes I'm watching a recording, and I'll think of
> something else I want to do briefly... it'd be easier if I could just
> jump into the menus while the recording is still playing in a little
> square, do whatever, and jump back again.
>
> There are certainly other ways to do that, but if you're going to do it
> for LiveTV, why not for a recording as well is all I'm saying.

Make up your mind people.  Are you watching TV or are you doing stuff in
the menus?  Some people just don't take their TV seriously enough.

In other words, if you're not really watching it, why are you playing it
back?  With Stanley's Jump To Program feature, you can get out to the
menus, do your thing, and go right back in to the exact spot you were at
in the program you were just watching.  Therefore, when you're watching
TV, you're watching TV.  When you're working in the menus, you're not
missing important details from your show.  (OK, I may not have that
exactly right as I've never used it, but that's my impression of how it
works based on descriptions I've seen.)  But, hey, I guess there's no
harm in implementing more features that users won't use because there
are so many features in Myth that users don't know most of what's
possible.  ;)

Mike

Mike