[mythtv-users] Where/Why did myth:// urls go?

Matthew Jurgens mythtv at edcint.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 01:46:11 UTC 2008

The 0.21 release notes make a brief mention about these URLs
"Fixed myth:// URLs".

These appear to have been replaced by the ASX and "Direct Download" links.
The myth:// urls used to let me redirect a player to start reading the
file off a samba share.
The major advantage that these players had over the ASX and FLVs are
that you could seek in the recording.
Now there appears no way to be able to seek in the ASX and FLV and now
that you can't automatically redirect a player to a samba share I have
to manually look in the samba share to try and find the recordings I
want to watch.

Who uses the Direct Download link? Are we supposed to download the whole
huge video file before we watch it?
Even on GB ethernet at say 50MB/s this takes 100 seconds for a 5GB file.
Good luck getting those speeds.
Additionally this forces the client to duplicate the video file on their
own disk.

Can we put the myth:// urls back - why were they considered broken?
Could we perhaps have another like besides the ASX and Direct download
links which linked directly to a samba share?