[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 26 01:00:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:12 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
> wrote:
> > Hello all. I'm using a channel changer script with an ir blaster to
>

> Leave it on all the time. Most cable STBs are actually "on" even when
> they are "off". The signal output may go away but most of the
> electronics stays on, receiving info from the headend.
>

> If you don't believe me leave the box off overnight and check to see
> how warm it is in the morning.
>

> So you don't save any power by turning it off, and as for increasing
> the life of the box, what do you care, it belongs to the cable
> company.

very much depends on the box: my early foxtel digital (in Oz) is almost
too hot to touch when on, but cool (not cold tho) in standby.  As for
channel change, I just prefix every command with a power on - problem
solved.  However, this box needs a 1/2 second delay between digits so
the more commands sent, the longer it takes to change channel :(

BillK