[mythtv-users] Commercial flagging on a sample basis

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 16:32:08 UTC 2008

James Orr wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You can set a limit on how long commercial breaks are when skipping.  I
>> have
>>> mine set to 5 minutes, if the commercial break is longer it doesn't skip
>> and
>>> displays how long the break is.  If I still want to skip I can press the
>>> button again.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this only seems to work when you are manually skipping, if
>> you
>>> set it to autoskip it ignores this and skips anyway.
>>>
>> I need that for transcoding so I can run mytharchive without loosing part
>> of the show..
>>

> You probably shouldn't transcode without manually creating a cut list.
> Commercial flagging is pretty good, but not perfect, I don't think it ever
> could be, one of those things that requires a human eye.
>
> Fortunately you can load the commercial flagging cuts into the editor and
> most of the editing is just moving the cut points slightly.  Usually takes me
> only a few minutes to setup a cut list.

"Commercial flagging is pretty good, but not perfect". Yeah, in the US. in the
UK it's so iffy I gave up and have been manually marking segments by hand ever
since. Which I'd rather not have to do. Be nice if some of the methods that work
over *there* could be modified so they also work over *here*, not to mention
elsewhere. Just sayin'.

Mike Perkins