[mythtv-users] Why the need for playback settings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 25 02:57:41 UTC 2008

On 03/24/2008 05:53 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008 03:49:05 Marc Sherman wrote:
>
>> Because by tinkering, you can get it _better_ than it gets in windows or
>> STBs, for some definitions of better. For example, by tinkering, you
>> could get reasonable video on hardware that is _much_ less powerful than
>> required for windows video.
> Ummm - no. Absolutlety not. The state of video playback on windows is far
> better than linux, purely because of the drivers. I can get hardware
> accellrated video far beyond XvMC and bob2 with any cheapo nvidia or ati
> card/mobo on windows. That includes H/W accel MPEG4 playback which is
> impossible under linux.
>
> On linux its a stuggle to get XvMC working, assuming it even supports the
> chipset of the card in question - for example, *not* the nv  6100.

You mean some people actually think that "hardware accelerated" video
(on Linux or Windows) is a good thing?  Hardware accelerated is the very
definition of "one size fits all" (where "one size fits all" is always
"one size fits all poorly").

PVR-350 does hardware accelerated video playback on Linux.  Try
switching to that and see if you still think it's a good thing.

Mike