[mythtv-users] Repeating Remote Control

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Mar 24 21:42:25 UTC 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Richard Weber wrote:

> Hi, I am a new MythTV user building my first HTPC.  I have been
> using ReplayTV for years enjoying it's features and
> functionality.    In building the HTPC I am trying to replicate, or
> get close to the features of a Replaytv, at least most functionality
> and feel.  After crossing a few hurtles, like getting MythTV namely
> installed and configured, but after some research and doing minor
> tweaks to themes and such, I am now working on the finer points of
> the setup.
>
> My first question is how can I make the remote repeat commands
> without having to contantly press the keys for instance scanning
> channels through the TV or Guide.   In the program guilde, I would
> like to be able to press channel up/down and have it scan through
> the list of shows.  Using the keyboard keypresses are repeated,
> however using the remote I have to manually press the buttons.  I
> have tried changing the lirc.conf repeat/delay settings and it does
> not seem to work.  Using lircw I see the keypress repeating , but
> MythTV is not picking them up.   I have a hauppauge PVR-500 with MCE
> remote.  Using the MCEUSB config.  Is there a setting in MythTV??

This is a lirc thing. If you use irw to see what lirc is detecting for
keypresses, does it repeat anything when holding down a key? How about
when you set repeat=1 for the key in lircrc? I don't have one of these
remotes/receivers, but that's just some general information you should
check out.

> Secondly, Using ReplayTV,  I able to view other replaytv connected
> through a local network.  I can view/schedule other ReplayTV
> recorded show on other ReplayTV.  Also though XBOX I can view
> ReplayTV over the network.  And using another program I can download
> shows to a local computer for viewing.  Does MythTV have an plugin
> which can act as a ReplayTV viewer? I suppose I can using a
> different process, download ReplayTV to MythTV and play them a
> shows, however, I am wondering if Myth has a feature to view local
> ReplayTV, maybe through the streaming feature.  I having tried it as
> just just a thought.

I do not believe there is a plugin to view ReplayTV content from
MythTV, but as you've stated, you can download the programs from
replay to your myth storage location and import the recordings using a
number of tools found in the contrib directory or put them in your
videos directory and view them that way.

> Im not too sure where my evaluation will ultimately take me, just
> trying to get a level of confidence both in Myth and Linux...

I assume you mean confidence in yourself using MythTV and Linux.

-Brad