[mythtv-users] what exactly can you record in QAM mode?

bungle nabble.e.wuuza at xoxy.net
Mon Mar 24 20:38:47 UTC 2008

Eric Mesa wrote:

> current drivers)  When I'm in QAM mode can I only record the unencrypted
> HD
> Channels or can I record anything from channel 1 and up?  (Provided it's
> unencrypted, of course)

QAM: I get local channels in HD (except CBS because BELO wants to charge
Charter to carry what everyone can get for free with an antenna) and a bunch
of worthless (to me) stuff in SD like shopping and religious channels.  I
wouldn't expect much more than that.

Eric Mesa wrote:

> Is that box switching between NTSC and QAM as I go from normal to digital
> channels or are all channels being transmitted in QAM while channels 1-120
> are ALSO transmitted in NTSC.

I think it depends on the provider again.  All the analog channels (that you
can pick up with a normal cable-ready tv) are broadcast on certain
frequencies.  A cable-company STB may use those analog versions if you have
the "digital tier", or there may actually be a digital version of certain
channels.  The HD stuff is all digital.  I think that the cable companies
had enough bandwidth left over (or expanded it) to add a lot of HD and
digital channels without disrupting the analog service, but now sometimes
they'll pull the analog availability of a channel to free up bandwidth to
add HD versions of a few more channels.

Eric Mesa wrote:

> In case it's provider specific, I'm using Comcast in Anne Arrundel County
> in
> Maryland.  But I would imagine that they'd be roughly the same across the
> state.

Which channels are clear QAM is provider specific.  I believe AVS Forums has
some threads on what's available.