[mythtv-users] Mythtv nube questions...

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Mon Mar 24 19:12:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:37:30AM -0700, allene222 wrote:

> I am trying to decide what to do.  I am totally new to Mythtv.  I have been
> running a small linux web and email server since RedHat 4 so have some
> limited experience there.  I have read tons on MythTv but have some
> questions.  I want to do OTA ATSC only and display on either a 4:3 TV or a
> 720p projector.  I am favoring the HD-HR box for the tuner.
>
> How much computer power do I need if this is in one box?
> I have read that splitting it into a backend and a frontend box would mean
> the backend would not need to be that powerful.  What does that mean?
> Specifically, would the 1.2GHz embedded microATX Intel computer be enough
> power for the backend?

Here's what the backend does:
 - maintains the database (can be offloaded to another machine
   over a good network, but then the other machine needs to be
   up, too.) Not much CPU, a little disk space and bandwidth.
 - gets scheduling information. Very little CPU, about once a
   day.
 - stores recordings. Very little CPU, lots and lots of
   diskspace. It's good to have multiple disks.
 - records television. From an HDHR, that's a small amount of
   CPU and a moderate amount of network and disk bandwidth.
 - commercial flags and transcodes shows. Lots of CPU is helpful
   here.

A 1.2GHz Intel CPU can probably do all of that except transcode
at a decent speed. But if you don't transcode much, or don't
care if it takes all night, no problem.

> What would I need power wise for a frontend for the 720p HD box?

My current rule of thumb is one of:

- AMD 2800 + XVMC-capable NVidia video card
- AMD 4000 CPU
- Intel 3000 + XVMC NV card
- Intel C2D 2000

This may change in a few months when Intel ships the XVMC X.org
drivers.

> If I use a MediaMVP for the SD-TV, would that be all I need for daily
> viewing?

For SD TV, sure. In that case you might want to transcode some
programs. You should probably talk to some of the folks who use
MediaMVPs, though.

> Would MythTV be able to fill the 4:3 screen by cutting off the edges of the
> picture or would I always get letterbox output?

4:3 pictures fill the screen; 16:9 can be letterboxed or zoomed.

> I need SD-Tv in 2 rooms so could I watch both at once using two MediaMVP
> boxes?

Yes, if you had sufficient disk and network bandwidth.

> Would I be able to watch a show recorded in HD using the MediaMVP and the
> simple backend I described (or the minimum you think I need)?

No, you would need to transcode to an SD resolution to watch on the
MediaMVP.  The backend you describe will not transcode in realtime.

-dsr-

--
Restore our Constitutional rights.