[mythtv-users] Can't get nividia-graphics 169.12 to load

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Mon Mar 24 18:49:11 UTC 2008

Kevin Plew wrote:
> Here is the output from
>
> $cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
>
> log]# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Interesting.

Keeping it simple go in to /lib and do 'find | grep nvidia' (it'll spit
out everything), just to make sure it exists.  Next step would be dmesg
and /var/log/messages also greping for 'nvidia' to see what, if anything
happened during boot/runtime.

I'm not sure which distro your using, but if it's Fedora try John's
trick above (about two versions being installed), in Ubuntu (and
derivatives) make sure the restricted modules are installed (and if
using envy re-run it's installer).