[mythtv-users] Why the need for playback settings

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Mon Mar 24 17:49:05 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Not really, I was saying that in linux, there is no one size fits all, you
> have to tinker a bit to get the right settings. But in windows, it is one
> size fits all. I was wondering, why does windows (and all commercial set top
> box products) get it right without any tinkering, but in linux, you really
> have to tinker?

Because by tinkering, you can get it _better_ than it gets in windows or
STBs, for some definitions of better. For example, by tinkering, you
could get reasonable video on hardware that is _much_ less powerful than
required for windows video. Similarly, you can tinker to get it working
on random consumer hardware you've cobbled together in your linux box,
as opposed to the strictly specified custom hardware in a given brand of
set top box.

In general, most open source software trades increased config complexity
for increased functionality.

- Marc