[mythtv-users] Question about QAM

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 11:20:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Brian Wallen <bwallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to get FiOS TV installed, and I read that it provides QAM
> local channels. What I'm not sure about is if I have to subscribe to
> their HDTV package to get this, or do they just send the QAM channels
> along with any package I get? I understand that I wouldn't be getting
> anything like DiscoveryHD, etc. Is there a preferred way to capture
> these channels? I was thinking about an HDHomerun or a pcHDTV 5500.
> What would you guys recommend? I live in Fairfax, VA. Is there anyone
> else on this list that has had luck with the same setup in my area?

To get the available Clear QAM Channels you do not need to subscribe to any
particular pack except for the full basic plus cable package. this is
typically shown on cable ready tvs as all the channels from 2-70 or there
abouts, thier local only 2-30 or something of the sort they put a filter on
the line limiting the signals. most clear QAM channels are broadcast in the
signal space between 75-125,

but be warned normally on MOST cable systems from posts on this board and my
own experience is only local channels are in clear QAM and the rest are
encrypted. For a little while I had one cable channel that wasnt local free
and clear but they decided to encrypt it. There have even been some cases
where local channels have been encrypted. The only way to record channels
that your provider decides to encrypt is to use a connection to a set top
box provided by the company.