[mythtv-users] Database setup

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 02:13:11 UTC 2008

Michael Nguyen wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The only way that I could connect to the DB  in mythtv-setup was to
>> change the username and password to root (and it's password).  It
>> wouldn't work using the mythtv user.  I know that using root is probably
>> not optimal, so that's part of the reason why I'd like to completely
>> scrap the mythconverg database and start over with it.  Also, I entered
>> the command that you listed above, and it gave me "Access denied for
>> user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.200' (using password: YES)".
>>

> Right, Harry.  The problem is that your user "mythtv" is only allowed to
> connect via "localhost".  If you typed this:
>
> mysql -umythtv -pmythtv -hlocalhost
>
> You'd get a MySQL prompt.  If you type this:
>
> mysql -umythtv -pmythtv -h192.168.1.200
>
> You'll get the error you saw.  The point of the previous entries was to
> allow connections for user "mythtv" from locations other than localhost
> hence the two SQL commands.  So again.
>
> 1) Get a MySQL prompt (login as root on MySQL:   mysql -uroot -p )
> 2) Run those MySQL queries
>
> USE mysql;
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@'%' IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@'%' IDENTIFIED
> BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> It'll magically work.  Dropping mythconverg and recreating it won't fix
> this problem.  The problem is a MySQL access problem, not a MythTV
> problem.  The default MythTV setup creates a user with "localhost"
> access.  If you're going to connect from somewhere other than localhost,
> you need to allow for that connection.
>

> Michael

I hear what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense, but I can't login
to mysql at all, no matter what user I try.  All 4 of these commands
give me the "Access denied...." error.

    mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -hlocalhost
    mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -h192.168.1.200
    mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -hlocalhost
    mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -h192.168.1.200

So as it stands, I can't do ANYTHING with mysql right now.  Any
suggestions on what I should do from here?

Thanks alot for the help, time, and patience (I'm still fairly new to
mysql; can't ya tell?    ;-)   )
Harry