[mythtv-users] CPU power (was Possible small HD frontend)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 23:52:25 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 07:52 PM, Raphael wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> I figure my slave backend that's using the new PSU must be using at
>> least 86W (20% of 430W).  It's an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM, an
>> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (outputting text only--just there so I can get the
>> NVIDIA GLX libs on the system), 2 pcHDTV HD-3000's, 2 750GB HDD's, 1
>> 300GB HDD, and one PCI SATA/IDE controller card.  It runs athwarm--I
>> mean SETI at home--continuously (even while recording).  And, that large
>> range was a beautiful thing to me because it meant I didn't have to do a
>> lot of figuring/measuring to find out what size PSU to get and that it's
>> flexible enough to handle future changes.
>>
> That is fully stocked. My system when it had a 2400+ and much less
> storage was drawing around 60W even when I had athcool running
> (disconnecting cpu from NB). So I would say 86W is very very efficient
> for that setup, with "athwarm running :) The more efficient PSU must
> really be making a difference.

Oh.  I guess I wasn't too clear.  The 86W isn't a measured value.  I'm
just saying it has to be /at least/ 86W, so it should fall in the
20-100% load range for a 430W PSU.  Until I can borrow my Kill-a-Watt
back from a friend, I'm working in the dark, here.  Once I get it back,
I'll probably install and old (cheap-o) PSU in there to run some actual
tests and get some real-world measurements, and I'll let everyone know
what I find.

Mike