[mythtv-users] CPU power (was Possible small HD frontend)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 19:45:51 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 03:06 PM, Graham Mitchell wrote:
>>>  And Core 2 (maybe not all steppings, though) can disable them (power
>>>  off) individually.
>> Must be newer ones. I know for a fact my 2 year old core 2 laptop does
>> not do that.
> That's the difference between the old core 2, and the new core 2 duo.

Where Duo simply means dual core.  If you have a Core 2 that's not dual
core, it's kind of impossible for the system to shut off the core that's
not being used.  ;)

Note that there exist:
  Core processors
  Core 2 processors
  Core Duo processors
  Core 2 Duo processors

Not to mention the Quads, etc.

The 2 is /very/ important in that list (as, IMHO, Core was much better
than P4, but much worse than Athlon 64 (not only for power usage, but
also for performance) and Core 2 is much better than Athlon 64 (again on
both counts)).  Intel, the master of marketing, chose product names that
were similar and confusing enough to make it so that even someone buying
their low end stuff could confuse himself into thinking he's just
getting a great deal on the high end stuff.  Not that there's much of a
need for the high end on most users' computer, though, so maybe it turns
out to be the kind of placebo to keep people from overspending on their
new computer purchases.

Mike