[mythtv-users] CPU power (was Possible small HD frontend)

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:47:18 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I've seen other comparisons where mobo's/chipsets were
> tested revealing some pretty astounding differences, though I don't feel
> like digging them up (and don't remember the details well enough to give
> the results).  :)
>
> Mike

Essentially on the desktop side, the Northbridges in Intel motherboards
pull considerably more power than an AMD motherboard does. Nvidia
chipsets are a particularly bad example. I've seen numbers upwards of
50W in some reviews. A typical number I saw thrown around a bit was 20W
for an Intel brand chipset. The typical northbridge on a motherboard
made for an AMD processor uses somewhere below 10W (I can't remember for
sure either, but I vaguely recall seeing even sub 2W numbers -makes
sense: they don't actually need a northbridge). So basically when people
say "I have a 45W proc and yours is 65W, nyah nyah," make sure to tell
them to add the power for the memory controller in the northbridge if
it's an Intel.