[mythtv-users] Installing SVN to multiple machines

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 18:27:21 UTC 2008

>  If you don't make them identical, at least set up ccache (there are good
>  HOWTO's for both Gentoo and Ubuntu).  It makes recompiling quite
>  bearable (though, really, it only helps when much of Myth is the same as
>  before, so you either do a lot of short compiles for frequent upgrades
>  or one longer compile with less-frequent upgrades that may be about
>  equivalent to all the short compiles).

I use gentoo so all installs are building from source. I find that
ccache and distcc are very helpful at speeding up building packages.
With distcc enabled I set make to use -j8 or better and make use of my
multiple machines to do the builds.

Also gentoo will let you make binary packages out of your installed
versions so you can easily share them with updated systems of the same
arch.

John