[mythtv-users] Possible small HD frontend

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Mar 22 01:11:41 UTC 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > The continuing search has revealed:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103074
> >
> > 6150 graphics, should be adequate, though not upgradable.
> >
> > Reviewers say it is noisy though, and it looks like no digital audio.
> >
> > Can't get power consumption figures.
> >
> > And of course I hate paying the Vista tax.
> >
> > Still cheaper than a Mini.
>
> I just looked and it's listed as "deactivated".  Also, I can't remember
> exactly what I've read or where I've read it but I'm under the
> impression that the Intel Core 2 Duo chips are much more power efficient
> than the AMD chips.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew

Actually, I haven't looked at the AMD/Intel comparisons for a few months
now, but if I remember, the Intel were more "efficient" because their
work to power consumed ratio was greater.  However the AMD's
consumed less total power, they just performed less work.  But for a FE
machine the question should be, is the 3600x2 enough and for at least 1080i
and below, I'm sure it is, having seen a 3800X2 play HD running at 1/2 CPU
speed.

Brian