[mythtv-users] Compaq Evo D51S

Tony Baca cfr131 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:44:32 UTC 2008

I'm seeing Evo D51S units, with a 1.7 Ghz. Celeron and 512MB RAM for
$89, 2Ghz. for $99.

Anybody using one of these as a frontend? I'm wondering if it can
handle HD. An AGP video card capable of XvMC might help.

beww

I can't say about the 510, but I have three Compaq D530 2.8 Ghz with Nvidia
AGP cards that do HD without XvMC using about 75% CPU running 0.20.2.  One
outputs 1080i (and is a remote backend), one is 720p (and is the master back
nd) and one is S-Video (Front end only).  The master backend is a tower, the
other two are Small Form Factor (SFF)

I have a fourth that is testing Suse 10.3 and Mythtv 0.21 right now.  It
does HD (1080i) at 73% CPU. It stutters using the High Quality Play back
profile (105% CPU), but I have not spent any time trying to optimize it yet
either.   I have not tried to use them with the built-in graphics.  I think
what really helps is having two memory stick to allow for faster dual
channel memory access.

The run relatively quiet, with the HD generation the most noise.  My
frontends are the SFF, not the Ultra Slimline; the Ultras may work, but they
do not have an AGP slot.  You can find many D530/2.8 Ghz for ~$200 on E-BAY

Tony