[mythtv-users] Watch TV has no sound

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:08:41 UTC 2008

Brett Williams wrote:
> Running FC8 and MythTV .21 with a PVR-350.  I have been using my system
> without cable running to it for sometime now and decided to play a bit with
> the TV side of things.  I have the cable running into the coax input of the
> PVR-350, I have scanned for channels, added channels, etc.
>
> When I go into the front end and select WatchTV the video is there, I can
> change channels, and everything appears to be working correctly, but I am
> not getting any sound.
>
> What am I missing to get some audio?

Does audio work in other applications than myth?

If so I would verify that you are using the correct /dev/dsp* device in
mythfrontend, because of some other issues mine had the generic /dev/dsp that
actually was not there because of a module I removed and actually when it was
there pointed to nothing useful, if you start mythfrontend in a window you
should have this error.

If other audio does not work in other things, FC8 appears to have some issues
picking the correct device for sound, by default it takes the first audio device
that it finds (based on module load order) and uses that but often that is the
audio from something other than a sound card that does not even have output
ability (webcam, ...).

                         Roger