[mythtv-users] transcoding widescreen recordings

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 21 19:18:32 UTC 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Any reason you need them transcoded without the bars or do you just
> need to adjust your "Fill" and get rid of them when playing back
> your recordings?
>
> No real reason i need them without the bars, but mainly because the
> solution should not have to be to adjust the fill. Also, too much
> techie for the wife. Just hoping that i could get my recording
> widescreen with no black bars, if there is a way.
> -Steve

I see. Well, I recommend setting up a playback group that always has
the fill mode set to get rid of the black bars. Then set up your
recording profiles to always put recordings from those channels in
that playback group. Then you don't have to think about it. It just
happens.

Also note that there is currently a patch that detects black bars and
sets the fill appropriately so even that step won't be necessary.

Also note that I've never done this and I'm trying to navigate the
playback options screen from memory, but I believe Fill is one of the
options in there. Of course, with anything I post, I might be high and
completely wrong.

-Brad