[mythtv-users] Compaq Evo D51S

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 21 14:37:40 UTC 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Alex Harford wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> I'm seeing Evo D51S units, with a 1.7 Ghz. Celeron and 512MB RAM for
>> $89, 2Ghz. for $99.
>
> According to this page:
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11349_na/11349_na.HTML
>
> They can take up to a 533MHz FSB 2.53GHz P4.  I wonder if they could
> take a 800 MHz FSB Hyperthreaded 2.8 GHz P4.  I'm not experienced
> enough with processors/chipsets to comment.
>
>> Anybody using one of these as a frontend? I'm wondering if it can
>> handle HD. An AGP video card capable of XvMC might help.
>
> I don't have the experience with that exact setup but I would guess
> no.  I had to go from a 2.4 to 2.8HT processor in my Pundit to do 480p
> reliably.  Although that was through a PCI video card.
>
> But those look like a good deal for an SD frontend!

Perhaps, but I really hate to buy anything these days that won't
handle HD. A MediaMVP can handle SD and is a LOT smaller and quieter,
as well as "greener".

I'm surprised a 2.4Ghz. P4 couldn't handle 480p, maybe the PCI video
card was the limitation. Theoretically a 600Mhz. P3 can deal with
MPEG2 at DVD resolution, at least that's the point at which the
manufacturers stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders in their machines
with DVD drives. Of course Myth is doing a lot more than just decoding
MPEG, but still...

beww