[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 21 14:35:36 UTC 2008

>  > 1.  Per tuner volume controls.
> Anyway, there's work afoot to get volume normalization into Myth,

Excellent. Hopefully it will be implemented across the board, not just
in recorded TV. For me, playing music CDs is by far the loudest, HDTV
is way quieter, and SD TV somewhere in between. Not really sure where
DVDs fall in there. Then theres the occasional episode I download
where the audio is so quiet I can max out the volume on my TV and
still strain to hear it. Of course, I realize theres only so much you
can do with very quiet audio (s/n ratio), but anything would help.

>  > 2.  Continuous recording.  (kind of like Tivo) where the back end is always
>  > recording, and the frontend is just streaming.
>  >
>  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254066#254066
>  Especially the part starting with, "However, IMHO, the patch is
>  completely unnecessary..."

That logic is flawed. I don't want CNN (or whatever station) recording
24x7. I want it to keep recording whatever channel I was watching
while I exit out of TV, go do something else, and then come back. Yes,
I can tell it to record before I exit, but then I can't continue
watching via LiveTV. I have to watch the recording instead, and that
means I can not change the channel when I decide I'm done with the
show. I need to exit out, stop the recording in progress, go back into
LiveTV, and then pick up with what I wanted to do. Even for myself,
thats a bit annoying. For the wife? Forget about it.

I understand this stuff isn't a priority for the core developers, and
I have no problem with that. However, it bugs me when they try to
impose upon others the way they like to use the system, and suggest
that that is how everyone else SHOULD want to use the system, too.

Maybe some day I'll get around to trying my hand at this stuff. At
least my submitted patch to attempt to satisfy the many-year-old
request to allow browsing across tuners seems to have jump started
that effort by getting at least a few core developers interested in
it. Now if only my dev box wasn't being occupied full time (for 2
weeks now) servicing our new HDTV. Parts for the new frontend should
arrive next week, so I can reclaim it....at least part time. It will
still be shared with the the bedroom TV, but it's easier to steal it
away when I can at least tell the wife to go in the living room.

--
Ron