[mythtv-users] LiveTV Channel Browsing Speed (New angle !)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 21 01:48:56 UTC 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> Old discussion I know ... :)
>
> I know the reasons channel changing LiveTV is slow (buffering etc)
> and have no
> desire to suggest changes to that - not feasible or desirable. But
> unfortunately for me, the inability to flick through channels is a
> WAF deal
> breaker.

If you have a channel-flipper addict in the house, I recommend:

1) an intervention - explain to her how much of her life is wasted by
flipping through tv she doesn't want to watch and how much better it
is to just it down and immediately find something you *want* to watch,
watch it (without commercials) and move onto something else - another
program or another activity altogether.

2) split your TV signal and teach her to flip the TV input between
myth and direct signal from your source. Flip all you want as fast as
you can. This may require getting a second STB, but a small price to
pay for a happy relationship. True; you don't get to pause, rewind,
record, etc. in this mode, but it will help her see the benefits of
just sticking with myth and not flipping any more.

I have two ex-flippers in my house. (My son is 17, my daughter is 10)
and they flipped all their lives until I started using myth about 2
years ago. Now they don't miss flipping channels and spend MUCH less
time watching TV. She'll thank you in the long run! Now they can't
stand watching TV without Myth.

-Brad