[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:43:35 UTC 2008

>  On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 14:09 +1100, glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>  > Hmmm... you have a 2GHz machine that runs HD video... and you are not using XvMC.
>  > Using ffmpeg you are putting the load on the CPU rather than the VGA card, is that right?
>  > If that is the case then that should be fine for my machine that is only running a 64MB nVidia.
>  > I have disabled the OSD fade but my problems have been that I get stutter simply when the OSD in on screen.
>  > I am interested in your DMA issue. Where would I find out what mine is set to?
>  > I shall have to experiment further with ffmpeg I think, I only persevered with XvMC becasue it was the first setting I found that allowed stutter free HDTV.
>  > Thanks again for your help,
>  > Glen

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Glen Hawksworth
<glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I have tried every possible combination of the ffmpeg settings and I get
>  stuttering with all of them; best result is one stutter every 3-4
>  seconds.
>  I did some searching about DMA and I believe my box is using UDMA. It is
>  running off a CF card (/dev/sda) at ATA133.
>  I am baffled as to how HD is watchable with a 2GHz in MythTV 0.21
>  I am going to spend some of easter trying the 256MB nVidia to see if it
>  makes a difference and then try reloading the frontend from scratch.

I think one thing that might be missing from this discussion is output
resolution. I'm able to playback HD on my measly Sempron 64 3000+
(1.8GHz socket 754) but only because I'm outputing 720x480 which
happens to be the native resolution of my Samsung 27" CRT. Keep in
mind I'm also using the Slim playback profile. I was pretty upset when
I found out that my TV which was advertised as a 1080i HD capable
monitor actually wasn', but in retrospect my current system, which I
can't afford to completely upgrade, would not be able to playback HD
otherwise.

I had a 720p recording that suttered under Mplayer on my desktop
machine (Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939) at full resolution but when I
played it on my Myth box which has much more overhead it played fine
(again at 720x480). And at only 27", I really can't tell the
difference from the couch.

People are using all kinds of displays, some progressive, some
interlaced, different resolutions, etc.

Just something to think about.

Richard