[mythtv-users] How much ring buffer is too much?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:09:02 UTC 2008

I ordered a new 500GB hard drive (Segate SATA 3G w/ 32MB cache) just
to store media on my FE/BE system. I'm thinking I'm going to allocate
about 10% of the space to the ring buffer. Since one of my ATSC HD
recordings took up just over 6GB for one hour that should give me
about 8 hours of buffer worst case.

Are there any downsides I should be aware of? Will this put a
significantly increased load on the database? I currently have a
marginal HD playback system and have to use the Slim playback profile
to get good 1080i playback. Of course the original 250GB drive is
staying in the system.

Thanks,
Richard