[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 13:27:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com>
wrote:

> On 19/03/2008, James Bunton <jamesbunton at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Also, by the time a stable MythTV based on 4.3 is released, it'll likely
> be in
> > most of the LTS-type distros anyway.
>
> I think this is the key point. the Devs are targeting a system that's
> 8-12 months in the future. By then we'll be looking at 4.3 or above
> being in every stable distro around. If you want to run SVN now then
> you'll be making concessions no matter what the distro.
>
> I get the feeling that a few people on here want everything on a
> silver platter, bleeding edge software without wanting to take the
> consequences of running bleeding edge software.

People have become used to running a development version and have it be
stable.  Now that 0.21 is out, it's time to break that idea and make major
changes.  :)

And for those folks who want to run SVN / bleeding software on a stable OS
like CentOS 5, Axel has stated on the atrpms-users list that he will most
likely revive a qt<whatever> RPM or whatever is needed to ensure the rest of
CentOS keeps running and MythTV requirements are also met.

/Brian/