[mythtv-users] Howto prevent MythTV flushing/Syncing disk writes (LiveTV/Recordings) [ SOLVED ]

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Thu Mar 20 10:33:13 UTC 2008

cal wrote:
> Allan Stirling wrote:
>> When a slave backend is NFS mounted, as far as I understand
>> it, a recording won't appear on the server (and thus other
>> frontends) until it's synced.
>>
>> This means that mounted (non-streaming) live TV would not
>> work very well, which as far as I can tell was the original
>> intent of this piece of code.
>
> which is another good reason for a switch setting. Maybe when
> qt4 lands in trunk ...

No, it is not.

Sorry - But myth has _way_ too many user-twiddleables
already. This confuses new users _and_ makes it harder to
optimize a system.

The real way to do it could be to only fsync if you're in
this situation - To test (on startup):

1. SBE creates a file
2. Sends a request to MBE to read file (repeated for a few
seconds)
3. If MBE couldn't read the file, fsync()
4. Test read again - If it now succeeds, set a fsyncneeded flag.

If you're all on one box, none of this is required.

Cheers,

Allan.