[mythtv-users] mythfrontend is shearing video playback

John and Holly Klug j.h.klug at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 06:59:16 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> You might need to specify a modeline for your display. I would do some
> research on that and see if you get closer to what you need.

Modeline has been a sore point with me and my Nvidia driver. Usually the
driver will pick a 1080i modeline for my TV, no matter what you do with
modeline, unless it happens to match an existing EDID entry.  I need to
write a custom EDID file.

I did get a little closer to success.  I found that if I disabled
TwinMode and use VLC in full screen at 1080i, all progressive source
problems go away.  I disabled LCD in Myth so I could get an idea of CPU
usage.  In VLC it is around 5% and a steady picture, and with
mythfrontend it is more like 50% with shearing in motion shots, so I
have to see what the difference is.  I assume it must have something to
do with the display settings in Myth.

I was using Nvidia's Twinmode to I could switch back and forth between
an RGB monitor and the HDTV when I wanted to select an application.
It's much easier without that pesky 50 pixels of overscan at each edge
with my HDTV.  And I have tried adjusting the set, but I run into all
kinds of distortion at the edges of the picture if I don't overscan.

John