[mythtv-users] Editing videos

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:54:13 UTC 2008

Are you editing other content into this home movie?  If so, what software
are you using?  Handbrake and FFmpeg are two programs that will do what you
want, although both are command line only on Linux.  I suspect Handbrake
will be easier for a first time user, although I confess I've not used it on
Linux.  I use it on OS X, where it has a GUI.  The downsides are that it
will only rip to mpeg4 or h.264 (from the GUI, anyway), and you can only
select individual chapters.
   FFmpeg will do most anything you want it too, but the documentation is
long and thick, and there 4 bazillion command line options.  If you are
interested in using asomething other than MythTV to accomplish your task, I
will conjure up the necessary FFmpeg commands for you.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have a freinds wedding DVD that I want to extract a few minutes of to
> put into a home movie. This is the process I followed using 0.21 fixes but
> something is amiss!!
>
> 1. I've done a 'perfect' rip of it to a vob file which is in my video
> directory.
> 2. I've run mythcommflag --video to create a seek table for it
> 3. I've played it in the Internal viewer, entered Edit mode and added
> cutpoints
> 4. I've run mythtranscode --video --honorcutlist but it doesn't. I get a
> copy of the whole vob file.
>
> Now here is the strange bit - if I go back into mythvideo to check the
> cutpoints on the original vob file, I get a blank screen for about 2
> seconds and then I'm back at the menu. I had to rename the file, rescan
> under video manager and rename the file back again to get something
> viewable back again.
>
> Can someone either tell me where I've gone wrong or if it is even
> possible?
>
> Cheers

P.S.  Yeah, I top posted. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL