[mythtv-users] 'Rollbackable' Ubuntu upgrade to 0.21

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:39:52 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/19/2008 08:48 PM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>
> I'm assuming by this you actually mean that the backup will be created
> automatically by MythTV code.  If, instead, you mean that a backup will
> be created automatically by the Ubuntu installation system, ignore
> everything else I say.
>
> As the guy who wrote the code in Myth that does the database backup, I
> would recommend you don't (yet) rely on it to provide a backup before
> the upgrade.  It's easy enough to do
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 before you start the
> upgrade process, and doing so (and verifying that it worked before you
> upgrade) guarantees that you'll have a good backup.  There are many
> situations in which the automatic backup will not occur (all dependent
> on the individual user's system configuration--including MythTV
> settings).  And, it's quite easy for a user to "lose" a backup file that
> he didn't create.
>
> What's in Myth now is basically the beginnings of a complete automated
> database backup facility.  It's currently meant to be a last-ditch
> effort to prevent a user from shooting him/herself in the foot, but user
> vigilance is still recommended.  ;)
>
> If everything works out as I plan, you won't need to worry about making
> a backup before upgrading to MythTV version 0.23 (but you will want to
> do a backup before upgrading to 0.22).  The main reason for the
> distinction is that I intend to have a complete automated backup system
> in 0.22, so you'll have several 0.22 backups available when you upgrade
> to 0.23.
>

> And the instructions for using the mysql command-line tool to restore
> the backup are at http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 .
> Main difference is that you may need to gunzip (or gzip -d) the backup
> if it's gzip-compressed.
>
> Good luck,
> Mike
Mike,

Very thorough explanation, thanks.  We had automatic backup facilities in place
"for the upgrade" that we disabled since it was  "in the MythTV code".

Nonetheless, there is still a weekly cron job that should be running for backing
up your DB anyway in Ubuntu packages.  Check in /var to see when the last backup
was.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com