[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 19 19:48:32 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 03:01 PM, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
> Yes, it's their sandbox, they make the rules and decisions.
>
> However, if the version of Qt4 requires a manual distro update, then
> there will be much less of an incentive for a user to update. I for
> one will not until the distro supports that Qt4 version. Possibility
> of something going wrong with the update is way too high at the
> current time and while I can tolerate a flaky MythTV setup, I cannot
> tolerate a flaky distro install. Might as well do an manual X11
> update too and that's non-trivial.
>
> This means less bug reports from users regarding the Qt4 development
> version. As long as the devs understand that their user feedback
> source is going to get much smaller on the Qt4 tree, then have at it.

Or, from another perspective, it means more time for the devs to figure
out/fix the bugs that result from the switch and to stabilize MythTV on
QT4--not to mention letting the packagers come up to speed on properly
packaging MythTV on QT4--before getting tons of invalid bug reports that
are due to system configuration errors.  :)

Mike