[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 19 18:13:06 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 01:56 PM, Jason Spears wrote:

>  On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > Janne Grunau wrote:
> >
> >> The required Qt version will be Qt 4.3.
> >
> > Oh great, there's at least one long term support distribution (Red
> > Hat 5 / CentOS 5) that has a Qt library older than that - it's
> > 4.2.1 on CentOS 5.1 currently and for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > 4.3 is too aggressive. Not everyone uses bleeding edge
> > distributions. I would argue, actually, that quite a few people
> > prefer to use long term support distros to build MythTV dedicated
> > systems. And those distros typically use slightly older software
> > versions.
>
>  Debian etch (stable) uses 4.2.1.  Lenny (testing) uses 4.3.4.  Etch
>  is unlikely to be replaced by Lenny inside a year, given past Debian
>  release delays.  This is definitely too aggressive for anyone not
>  running an Ubuntu or Gentoo type distribution.

Actually, it's 100% up to the devs what version they choose.  I'm
actually hoping for 4.4, as soon as it's released.  (If they don't
choose 4.4, there's a very good chance that MythBrowser won't exist in
the next version of Myth.)

If you choose to use a distro that doesn't normally use a sufficiently
high QT version, you have 4 choices:  1) install the required QT version
(through some bleeding package or self-compiling or whatever), 2) stick
with 0.21, 3) fork MythTV and do all development and maintenance
yourself, or 4) don't use MythTV.

Mike