[mythtv-users] Howto prevent MythTV flushing/Syncing disk writes (LiveTV/Recordings)

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:35:39 UTC 2008

On 19/03/2008, Mark Boyum <circushair at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/18/08, Albert Graham <agraham at g-b.net> wrote:
> > Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> > > Speak for yourself : I would rather use whatever I can scrounge up for
> free
> > > that will do the job. :-)
> > >
> > > And I did.
> > >
> > Christopher,
> >
> > You're clearly a resourceful man :), but I know what you mean, I have
> > about 40 CDROM drives, 100's of old hard drives, tons of multi-function
> > cards, millions of network cards etc.., but then you change your
> > motherboard or something and they're all useless, but that's progress
> > for you.
> >
> > I think MythTV is one of the very best apps out there and well worth
> > investing in good hardware - which hopefully will last a few years
> > before it's on the scrap heap.
> >
> > Albert.

> I have gone Christopher's route.  Mythtv has certainly transformed how we
> watch television in our house, but it would never have happened it didn't
> run well on my old hardware.  I think it is a great application to help keep
> old machines out of the scrap heap longer.  My current combo BE/FE is a six
> or seven year old PC that can record two sd streams and play a third without
> a hitch.
>
> Likewise, when I start doing HD playback I intend to make my current desktop
> (four years old) a dedicated frontend.
>
> Sorry for the useless list traffic, I just wanted to let Christopher know
> that he isn't alone running MythtTV on dated hardware.
>
> -Mark

Me too!!! P3 933Mhz and proud of it!  On the backend at least Myth
doesn't/shouldn't really need fancy hardware. And the same goes for
the frontend if you're SD only like me.

However, Myth should be able to take advantage of newer hardware where
it can, so a configurable buffer would be good for some.

Cheers
Steve
RECYCLE YOUR HARDWARE - IT'S THE GREEN THING TO DO!
<Blatant ad mode on>
If you no longer want your old hardware sell it or put it on
.....www.freecycle.org and give to a good home.
</blatant ad mode off>